It is not just “eating too much” or “a lack of motivation.”
According the Obesity Medicine Association, obesity is defined as: “a chronic, relapsing, multifactorial, neurobehavioral disease, wherein an increase in body fat promotes adipose tissue dysfunction and abnormal fat mass physical forces, resulting in adverse metabolic, biomechanical, and psychosocial health consequences.
The Zenith Health Weight Loss Program
- Targets Body Mass Indexes greater than 27 percent.
- Assists in nutritional support and counseling, and will help to coordinate for low carbohydrate options.
- Nutritional counseling part of individual plans.
- Counsel and education on physical activity, especially in maintaining weight loss once achieved.
- Allows for group appointments to make monitoring more available and convenient. Super early morning appointments or evening appointments are available upon request.
- Coming Soon: telemedicine with weight monitoring.
- Coming Soon: Walk with the Doc. Allows for both patient and provider to mingle during a friendly walk, which bolsters energy and accountability.
What you can expect at your first appointment
- 360-Degree biometric analysis. Bring a yoga type outfit (both male and female, plus females bring sports bra, and sports shirt/top), as analysis will require form fitting clothes.
- Expect first appointment to last from two to two and a half hours: as you will view special video, receive education from the provider, possibly receive an EKG, and receive a comprehensive evaluation/assessment by the provider.
- Expect at first appointment to receive a Lab order (that may also be sent electronically) that you will need to take to a local laboratory for certain labs that pertain to your wellness and health.
- Follow-up appointment can be in form of either individual or group appointment depending on needs, preferences and goals. These appointments usually last about 20 minutes; it is possible group appointments could last a little longer.
- As appropriate, medication for cravings could be given at first appointment.
- Those desiring maximal weight loss, the staff can coordinate for low carbohydrate specialized meals.
Weight loss will be in several phases
- Comprises not only first 4-6 weeks, but also usually lasts 6-12 months.
- During initial phase (first 4-6 weeks), appointments can be weekly for some, and others may start at one month follow-ups; during first initial phase, at least monthly appointment are expected as this helps with important pillars of the program: nutrition, behavior modification, physical activity implementation, and medication management.
- Start to move away from active weight loss, possible less medication, and less frequent visits to the clinic.
- Start to graduate to a program that is more about sustaining the lifestyle that has been learned during process.
- This is time that there is an active push towards looking at clinic social media website or other weight management accountability media site or local group that can help support weight gain for more long-term accountability of the lifestyle that has been obtained.
- Clinic starts to set parameters of weight that will signal a time to either implement measures of active weight loss and possible return to clinic if needed.
- Determines if medication will be needed at that time; offer accountability website by office social media.
One of the main purposes of this practice involves weight loss in order to help patients avoid the most common diseases that have direct and strong correlation for cause that affect your quality of life, longevity and mortality:
- heart disease
- sleep apnea
- some types of cancer
Also, there are the adiposity related diseases:
Neurological disease (intracranial hypertension, meralgia paresthetica, carpal tunnel syndrome, impaired balance), cardiovascular disease (coronary artery disease, stroke, hypertension, CHF), GI Disease (NAFLD, GERD, hypertension, pancreatitis, gallbladder disease), gynecologic: (menstrual irregularities, PCOS), cancers (esophagus, breast, uterus, colon, pancreas), psychological (depression, body image dissatisfaction, loss of libido, poor self-esteem), pulmonary disease (obstructive sleep apnea, asthma, hyperventilatory syndrome), endocrine disease (prediabetes, type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, gout), GU disease (nephrolithiasis, chronic kidney disease), MSK disease (osteoarthritis, immobility, low back pain, gait disturbance), integumentary (intertrigo, stasis pigmentation/ulcers, infection).